- Lead. Iran-backed Houthi forces launched coordinated missile and drone strikes on Yemen’s Red Sea port city of al-Makha on August 10, killing seven people — four military personnel and three civilians — and wounding thirty others.
- Fact. Air defences intercepted 11 drones and two ballistic missiles, but the strikes still destroyed residential neighbourhoods, electricity stations, and port infrastructure, following a separate barrage the previous day that killed at least eleven.
- Stake. With the Strait of Hormuz still largely closed and Oman-brokered talks stalled, Yemen’s internal conflict is deepening into a secondary front of the broader regional war, threatening to further disrupt Red Sea commercial shipping already running at a fraction of normal volume.
A coordinated Houthi missile and drone assault on the port city of al-Makha — known historically as Mocha — on Yemen’s western Red Sea coast killed seven people and wounded thirty on Monday, Yemeni military officials said, in what amounted to the second large-scale attack on the city within a single day. The earlier barrage, launched within the previous 24 hours, had already killed at least eleven people and injured thirty-two, according to Al Jazeera.
Coordinated Strike on Civilian and Military Targets
Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said in a Telegram post that the operation targeted Saudi troop concentrations and weapons depots stored at the port. However, Yemeni military and local officials said the strikes hit well beyond those positions, damaging apartment blocks, electricity infrastructure, commercial storage facilities, and a civilian food supply depot. An unmanned explosive boat was also intercepted near the port’s approaches during the attack, suggesting a multi-vector operation designed to overwhelm al-Makha’s defences.
Footage released by the Houthi-affiliated Al Masirah television channel showed the launch of several ballistic missiles alongside drone swarms. Yemeni air defence forces said they downed eleven drones, and that two ballistic missiles fell into the sea before reaching their targets. Despite those intercepts, the volume of munitions used — described by officials as “a large number of ballistic missiles and drones” — proved sufficient to inflict casualties and widespread structural damage.
Strategic Significance of al-Makha
Al-Makha sits at a sensitive point on Yemen’s western coast, roughly 170 kilometres south of Hudaydah, and has served as a logistics hub for Saudi-aligned forces throughout the war. Its position near the Bab el-Mandeb strait makes it operationally important for both sides: Saudi-backed forces use it to receive reinforcements, while the Houthis have periodically struck it to disrupt those supply lines and assert control over Red Sea access.
The renewed intensity of Houthi operations against the port coincides with the broader standoff over the Strait of Hormuz, where Iran has permitted only a fraction of normal shipping traffic since the conflict with the United States and Israel began in late February. According to ship-tracking data, roughly eight to fifteen vessels transited the Strait daily in early August — compared with approximately 130 before the war. While al-Makha is on the Red Sea rather than the Strait of Hormuz, the interconnected nature of Gulf and Red Sea maritime routes means disruptions in either waterway compound pressure on global shipping and insurance costs.
Rising Civilian Toll
The double strike on a single day in al-Makha underlines what the United Nations has described as a deepening humanitarian emergency across Yemen, where years of conflict between Houthi forces and a Saudi-led coalition have already produced one of the world’s most severe civilian crises. The August 10 attack struck residential neighbourhoods far from any declared military objective, raising immediate questions under international humanitarian law about targeting proportionality. Local officials reported that fires broke out at port storage facilities containing imported food supplies, threatening further disruption to the flow of goods into an already food-insecure population.
The Houthis, who receive weapons and financial backing from Iran, have significantly expanded their operational range since the regional conflict escalated. Their capacity to launch simultaneous strikes using ballistic missiles and drones in rapid succession reflects the depth of their arsenal and the continued flow of Iranian military support despite international sanctions on Tehran.